Thursday 22 January 2009

The Narrative

I love my room! It is a sunny side, big, bright, quiet, lovely room.

Every time I wake up first job is to open curtains and let the light, knocking on my window. Yesterday morning I did the same. During a trip from my nest towards the unusual door made of glass, I realized that weather on the other side of it is far from lovely. Opening procedure did go well (as usual). I took a look outside, just to be sure in the situation (is not it stupid, as if something can change in seconds).But this was an unusual day. The scene outside surprised me a lot! Whole town was covered by a smooth wall of fog. Curve of two minutes mood jumped high. I was twice as lucky, more than twice, four times, oh, whatever! I could not wait to finish my breakfast and go shooting because I knew, this was a day off and Bronica was waiting in a bag ready to shoot.

My series of light drawings for Ben Roberts’s workshop came out with a surprisingly high taste of narrative in them. That was a story about two night time living figures, boy and girl. From my point of view it could be a reason for my strange crisis of ideas in a head. I could not come up with something that I would like and that would give me enthusiasm for the project. Fog was a great inspirational thing.

After developing and scanning a contact sheet from those three rolls of film I had a look on the images. I was looking and looking at them, trying to find some narrative. Fog was the only thing that connected them all together. But then, after scanning and editing each one of them, as a separate work. I have clearly divided them to five groups.

Series: “Fairytales of a foggy day”.

Kit: Bronica SQ-Ai, 6x6, 80 mm, F/2,8, Fuji Pro 400, Photoshop CS3, Lightroom, Silver Efex Pro










2 comments:

Radu said...

excellent. are you using color medium format for them or just cropping square?

DerPavlo said...

Color medium format mate ) Thank you!